Yesterday afternoon, I spoke to a group of local college students, on the topic of computer graphics. One thing I stressed was, get your degree, so you can get a job, and then begin to learn.
Below is my top 25, best of the best, online learning resources. Some of these sites are pay and some are free. Not all of the sites are specific to computer graphics.
One thing I've learned over the years is you have to learn the rules before you can break them. Art is art whether it's on paper, canvas, cave wall, or computer screen. Without the basic knowledge of composition, you're not producing art.
I literally went through hundreds of my bookmarks to compile this list of 25. Please, check back often, because I'm sure the list will grow.
- http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums - Is the developer of the V-Ray rendering engine and provides fast rendering solutions for CGI - 3D animation, architectural and VFX studios, games ...
- http://www.digitaltutors.com - Since 2000, we've been a dedicated team of artists, professionals, representatives and problem-solvers who are truly passionate about teaching the people around the globe who make movies and games.
- http://www.lynda.com - Deliver a learning experience that exceeds our members’ expectations.
- http://www.youtube.com - Founded in February 2005, YouTube allows billions of people to discover, watch and share originally-created videos. YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform, and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers large and small. See our company timeline for more information on our company history.
- http://www.pencilkings.com - Learn how to draw cartoons by following along with our video lessons from professional artists and instructors. Unlock your inner artist today!
- http://www.sensationalcolor.com - Color Advice and Insights from the Experts: Color Meaning, Symbolism, Psychology, Color for Your Home, Color Schemes, Color Combinations, Color Trends, Quotes about Color
- http://www.beloose.com - BeLoose is a workshop where the experience will definitely change people's lives and increase their confidence beyond their expectation.
- http://www.deviantart.com - Art - community of artists and those devoted to art. Digital art, skin art, themes, wallpaper art, traditional art, photography, poetry / prose. Art prints.
- http://www.drawing-tutorials-online.com - Do you have a passion for drawing but lack certain skills? Would you like to earn a living as an artist but are unsure of where to start ? This one of a kind membership site will provide you with both technical drawing skills as well as sound career advice.
- http://artistsnetwork.tv - Learn techniques for lighting the subject, proportion, painting features, and more as you paint a stunning portrait, reminiscent of the masters--giving you the knowledge you need to create your own portrait paintings!
- http://psd.tutsplus.com - Fortunately, it isn't required to go to design school in order to be a graphic designer. A good foundation in graphic design history, theory, and practica
- http://cgworkshop.org -CG WORKSHOP is an on line service created to enhance 3d artist knowledge providing video tutorials, 3d models and training in many cgi areas. CGW is a cell of MOTYW studio, company that combines architecture with computer graphic. Explore our site, play with available models and presets, have fun.
- http://cg.tutsplus.com - Cgtuts+ is a source of learning on all aspects of computer graphics. We pump out regular tutorials on Maya, 3Ds Max, Cinema 4D, ZBrush, Blender, Mudbox and more. We cater to beginner, intermediate and advanced CG artists.
- http://www.3dmotive.com - Join 3dmotive.com and get instant access to top notch training content streamed in HD. You’ll learn tips, workflows and techniques directly from game industry pros.
- http://www.khanacademy.org - With a library of over 2,700 videos covering everything from arithmetic to physics, finance, and history and 253 practice exercises, we're on a mission to help you learn what you want, when you want, at your own pace.
- http://www.vray-studio.com - VRayART LTD is a multimedia development company that stands behind this project, established in 2009. Since then we have created over a thousand different applications, including games, presentations, websites, 3D visualizations, also medical and Hi-Tec simulations. Our clients stand in the front lines of future developments. By joining our forces with them we create high end applications at super quality standards.
- http://curriculum.autodesk.com - Creativity and design play a significant role in every part of our lives, here you will find a new approach to design, sustainability, and creative problem-solving using Autodesk software.
- http://www.digital-photography-school.com - Discover how to use your digital camera with our Digital Photography Tips. We are a community of photographers of all experience levels who come together to learn, share and grow in our understanding of photography.
- http://kelbytv.com/photoshopusertv - The weekly Photoshop TV show featuring "The Photoshop Guys" Scott Kelby, Dave Cross and Matt Kloskowski. Presented by the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP).
- http://www.creativecow.net - Support communities for digital video, video editing, and media production professionals in broadcasting, motion graphics, special FX and film. Home to the top-rated Adobe After Effects, Apple Final Cut Pro, Avid, Discreet Combustion, Media 100 844x and Pinnacle Cinewave user forums support communities, dedicated to digital video production professionals.
- http://www.mentalboutmax.biz - 3ds Max, Mental Ray, Vray, 3D, Rendering, Raytracing, Global Illumination, Photons, Final Gather, Irradiance Map, Image Sampling, Video Training, Vray Tutorials, Mental Ray Tutorials, 3ds Max tutorials, Anti Aliasing, Modelling, Lighting, VFX, MentalBoutMax
- http://www.thecgschool.com - 3DATS, LLC provides high quality training solutions for design visualization professionals. Our products and services include customized training, 3D design consultation, training books and DVDs, as well as some of the best content available in the visualization industry.
- http://www.openculture.com - Get free online courses from the world’s leading universities. This collection includes over 250 free courses in the liberal arts and sciences.
- http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/news/speakers_vftt - The student-run speaker series brings well-respected leaders of business and social sector communities to campus to share their views of leadership with student audiences. Speakers discuss their leadership style, personal vision, and strategies for success.
- http://www.wetcanvas.com - WetCanvas: Cyber Living for Artists